Sunday, October 30, 2011

Addendum

Building on my last post...yesterday while taking a deliciously sunny afternoon bike ride to pick up the Neon, I thought about why it was that this week hadn't lived up to everything I thought it would.  Like, why is it that when I ate an entire dish of easy peanut butter treats that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would?  Why is it that going to bed early/on time  was didn't feel as rewarding?  What about the Rise of the Planet of the Apes--why wasn't going to the movies by myself as thrilling as I had anticipated?

I've never thought that having a family limited my happiness, but occasionally I would wonder what life would be like without them--when I do wonder, the imagined life is never better, just different.  After this past week, however, I realize that having a family--being a husband and a father--exposes to me an added measure of happiness.  When I am away from my family, that added measure disappears.  

I appreciate the time I had this week to work on projects and have some free time, but I am ready for my hottie-of-a-wife and fantastic kids to get back.  Texas, give them back to me!!

3 comments:

  1. So sweet! I really appreciated this post, D. I remember 4 years ago when Jason and I were on the east coast picking out new digs for our 2-yr stay there. Jason had some meetings one day, so I got in the rental car and drove down to the Baltimore Aquarium and checked it out myself. Man, was it lonely! By the end of the day, I was approaching strangers just to strike up a conversation, and they'd get away from me as fast as they could. It was weird not having my family with me. You've survived the week well--and I sure appreciate your reminder about how important family is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so sweet Derrick I miss you too and can't wait to see you. It was nice to go and see family while you were working but it was NOT the same without you. Our lives are meant to be intertwined. I am so glad that we are an eternal family and you are my eternal partner through this life and the next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, it's not greener on the other side of the fence!

    ReplyDelete