Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Motherhood

I am not going to lie, I am still adjusting to full-time motherhood. My last class ended 2 months ago, but I still feel like I am catching up to speed. Honestly, I am feeling overwhelmed. I'm sure that every mother feels that way, but I just don't know how to get everything done. How am I supposed to to keep a household clean, cook three meals, clean up after those 3 meals, play with children inside and outside, discipline those children and teach them the gospel, do laundry, and somehow take a shower for myself?  I tell Derrick all of the time, "I just don't know how anybody does it. If my house is supposed to be clean, I would be cleaning 24 hrs a day!"  and I only have 2 kids!

Sorry I am not trying to sound pessimistic, or to be complaining, but is there a secret that I don't know about? Does everyone's homes look like mine, where one child is pulling off the cover to the AC vent the other child is splashing in the sink of the bathroom, my living looks like World War III has started and I am still in yesterday's clothes, with no bra on, and covered in baby food?

I better get off my daughter is starting to eat the map to California Adventure, but I was just wondering if there is some magic fairy that flies to desperate mother's homes and watch their children so that they can take a shower, or a nap? Maybe someone like this?


There isn't? That's too bad.


5 comments:

  1. the secret is no one's house is that clean all the time especially if they have kids. And if you think they do its only because they cleaned up and shoved it (the mess of everything) somewhere really fast because they knew you were coming. its like the saying that says something like, "Woman compare their worst selves to other's best selves." Like you are sitting at home just as you described and you think of a dinner at a friends who had everything looking perfect. You know an hour before then she was probably being a crazy nazi hollering at everyone to clean things up on threat of death.

    anyway, good luck. my house is always a mess. and i'm currently wearing a hat because my hair is crazy and i haven't showered and jonah is screaming at me from his bed because all morning long he has been giving me attitude so i told him he has to stay on his bed till lunch time. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi is about to leave her house to meet her visiting teachers for their regular monthly get together. But as she bends down to pick up the last of the toys left on the floor by her four children, she throws her back out. She's in great pain, so she phones her friends and tells them that she won't be able to go out with them that afternoon. Later that day, her visiting teachers come to her house to commiserate.

    "Oy Naomi," says Talia, "it's such a shame you being laid up like this."

    "Yes," says Fay, "it's terrible. The pain you must be experiencing. Such tsouris you've got."

    "I know what we can do," says Talia. "We'll pray for you every day until you get back on your feet."

    As Talia and Fay are nodding their heads in agreement, Naomi says, "You know what, better you two should come here every day and help out with the housework. Praying I can do by myself."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My two cents? You are not alone!!!!!!!!!! Read Pres Uchtdorf's talk from a week ago at the General RS meeting for a wonderful pick-me-up. And I'll share my experience from when I only had ONE kid--Rhiannon was 6 months old and I was sick of it all, sick of being a mom, sick of not getting a paycheck and being stuck in the house, etc, etc, etc, etc. I felt horrible, until I had the thought--"Don't forget you're a daughter of God, and what you're doing is so important." I remember that when I'm feeling overwhelmed. It was God's gentle way of reminding me that we were in it together. Please don't be too hard on yourself--you are wonderful and your kids are great! Enjoy these crazy, messy times, because they go by way too fast and then you have OTHER issues to worry about when the kids are older! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete